Sunday, January 21, 2018

Can we map our neighborhoods' present and future

In our Thin Red Lines class we discussed maps on a deeper level, we discussed maps' intentions. Which is something that I wanted to keep in mind for this Action Project. In my AP I kept in mind what my community is now, what the people want it to be, and what it could be in the future. I made 1 base map and three layers, the three layers were a current map, a dream map, and a future map.
I go more in depth about each layer in the video.
                                                           TN Current 2018

This layer I call the "current layer". It shows restaurants, churches, and stores in different neighborhoods. It reads, "87% of people in Mt. Greenwood identify as white" "62% of people in Morgan Park identify as black" and "57% of people in Beverly identify as white." in each corresponding neighborhood.

                                                             TN Dream 2018

This is the layer I call "dream" because it takes ideas from people in each community and puts what they would want into the map. Heres what people said, by neighboorhood. Morgan Park; Art Studio, Vetranarian, A theater, a Chain restaurant, and A dentists office. Mt. Greenwood; Dollar store, Pet store, Computer repair, Clothing store. Beverly; another Bank, bookstore, grocery store, computer repair, hair salon, and an art supply store.

                                                          TN Future 2018

This is the layer I call "future" because it shows what our community could be.
It adds more blue (black population) to areas like mt. Greenwood and adds a new color, red, to the map which represents the Latinx, Asian, and mixed race population.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frontiers

 Hello and welcome to my final action project for my STEAM class Frontiers. In this action project, we were asked to create a conference pos...